Sunday, December 4, 2011

Do I have to remit/charge sales tax on accounting and tax services?

I've decied to start my own business but I was wondering If I needed to charge/remit payments to my state for sales taxes. If so, what would my rate be? I live in Utah.|||Services are not taxable. Goods are taxable.





Each state has its own website, on it will be a link to its Board of Equalization, or sales tax department. If you are buying and selling any goods along with your service, apply for a permit. They will send you your SBOE number. You use this to omit paying sales taxes for the business goods you purchase, and you use it to file monthly with the state for any sales taxes you collect on goods you sell.





The rates across the nation are changing now.|||Depends


Does your state tax services? Most don't although NY does.


Check with your state department of revenue|||If you are providing accounting and tax services I would hope you would know to contact your state department of revenue services directly to check if services are taxable in your state or just goods.

No comments:

Post a Comment