Thursday, December 8, 2011

Why, in practically every dictionary I look in, is there no definition for the word 'remit'...?

...when used in the sense 'area of responsibility', i.e. 'that's not in my remit'? Microsoft Word has it in its vocabulary, but nowhere else does. Am I overlooking something?





I'm looking to find a pronunciation for it but can only find the alternative way of saying it. Can someone spell it phonetically for me please?|||"area of responsibility" infers that you want its definition as a noun. Scroll down for the accepted definition as a noun.





The word comes from Latin. Its literal translation means "send back."





My dictionary source has one pronunciation with the second syllable stressed.





http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dic鈥?/a>





Use the following site to hear the pronunciation:





http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=re鈥?/a>|||You could probably find the pronunciation on an online dictionary website.|||Have you actually opened a dictionary and looked it up? It is correct the way it is but online dictionaries do not have all the words there is.

No comments:

Post a Comment